Change is Gonna Come

We knew it would happen one day.

After all, we'd done it ourselves when we were growing up.  

It's just that we thought we had a little more time.

We've hit the stage where our kids are now much too cool for us.

This photo was taken this past Sunday after church when we went to Newk's for lunch.



Just look at them!  Sitting at a table for two on the farthest wall away from their parents and baby sister as possible.  Look how happy they are!  It's as if they are saying, "Family?  What family?  We are free as birds out of the nest."  

They even got their own drinks and spoke with the employee who brought their food.  

Yes, they were pretty grown up.  Clearly able to take care of themselves and eat with good manners and behave as civilized human beings in public.  The only tiny detail that was missing was the fact that THEY DIDN'T PAY FOR THEIR OWN FOOD.  

Of course this teeny little fact pretty much negates all other aspects of them being independent grown ups who no longer need Mom and Dad.  

I realized right then and there that I'd been doing them a disservice by not helping them be more grown up at home.  After all, if they wanted to be grown up, it was high time they began pulling their weight a little around the house. That evening, I began with my little (true) sob story about how my sisters and I used to have to stand on chairs in order to reach the kitchen sink to wash dishes.  We couldn't have been more than about four and eight years old.  

My oldest looked at me and very seriously said, 

"That is cruel.  It should be against the law."  

Strange.  I do not remember child services ever showing up at our door while I was washing dishes.  

Oh, yes, girls.  We are quite willing for you to enjoy some benefits of being more grown up.  However, we as your parents are going to enjoy some benefits as well.  

Girls, I'd like you to meet my dear friend, the dishwasher.  

Contrary to popular belief, he does not magically collect dirty dishes.  Nor does he magically place them back in their proper place when they're sparkly clean.  

I know this will come as quite a shock, but I actually have to MANUALLY place each and every dish and utensil in this machine before it will wash them.  

Let's take a moment to let that sink in, shall we?

Next, I'd like to familiarize you with a little thing I like to call...bathroom cleaner.

What?  Bathrooms have to be cleaned?

I'm so glad you asked!  Why yes, yes they do, my darlings.  And not only that, but they have to be cleaned from top to bottom WEEKLY!  

Every week this summer you will be making all kinds of fabulous discoveries and having new adventures now that you're "grown ups".  I have a whole list of grown up things you can do...you're gonna love it.

Regardless of how you may feel about our current President, I have to admit I like his campaign slogan of "Hope and Change".

My girls may hope there won't be much change, but change is comin'.  In fact, it's speeding towards them and they don't even know it.  I'm not just hoping.  This is a fact.

Just look at the wonderful things they've done so far the last few days:

Washing dishes:



Bathing the dog:



Drying off the dog before he's allowed back in the house.
I made a mental note to tell her next time to please refrain from using one of their good bath towels.  EEK!

But hey, progress is progress...



Cleaning up after the dog:




Feeding the dog:



Is anyone else sensing a dominant theme in household chores?  Namely that most of them have to do with caring for the DOG?!  Man's best friend...wife's worst enemy.  But I digress...


Laundry:



Dusting (while eating a fruit roll up).



Cleaning mirrors:




Bathing themselves:



The youngest child, observing and sensing that this all began because her big sisters decided to display their independence and ability to care for themselves, decided to play it smart.

She asked her Daddy to sit next to her and cut up her pizza for her.


Comments

This is so cute and funny! Yes distinctly remember standing in a chair to slowly and meticulously dry dishes. So, you're right that had to be when I was about 4. I should be getting HK to start helping...how did mom and dad do that? Kuddos!

Popular posts from this blog

The Mom Bathing Suit

These are a few of my NOT favorite things...the Conclusion

Priorities and Pull-Ups